Enough for about 4 people (or two if you're hungry)
Equipment needed: large oven dish with a lid, chopping board, kitchen tongs or a fork for turning the meat.
Pre-Heat an Oven 170C (Fan)
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: Approx. 60mins
- 1 Large Pack of Chicken Thighs or 4 Breasts
- 1 Large Onion – Peeled, halved and sliced finely
- 2 Cloves of peeled garlic, crushed and chopped finely
- 1 tbsp Sweet Paprika
- 1 tbsp Capers (from a jar) or Olives, or both
- 1 Bay Leaf (fresh or dried)
- 1 tbsp Kit’s Peanut spice
- 1 400g Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Crushed Black Pepper to taste
- Chopped Fresh Parsley or any nice soft green herb just for decoration
- Optional Extras: 1 x Red Bell Pepper de-seeded and diced (chopped into little squares)
On a board, place the chicken straight out of the pack, sprinkle the paprika over the chicken, salt and pepper on both sides and leave for a couple of minutes.
Heat the pan on a high heat or dish on the stove, add ½ tbsp of oilve oil, then add the chicken – skin side down, lid off. When browned (not burnt) turn it over and fry for the same amount of time, then add the rest of the ingredients on top of the chicken, allow to cook for a couple of minutes and then turn the chicken. This allows the ingredients to go to the bottom of the pan, stir a little. Turn the heat down, put the lid on or if you haven’t a lid, a single piece of kitchen foil will do but don’t open it to sneak a peak during baking.
Put the pan/dish into the oven and set a timer for 45mins. Leave it there until timer goes off. This can be made and left on a low heat (<100C) for up to an hour until needed.
Remove the pan and open the lid, sprinkle with chopped herbs and enjoy.
We like to eat it with potatoes, mashed, roasted, boiled, sautéed or even plain boiled rice. Salad goes well too.
Tag your dinners with @Peanut_Chutney so we can see your kitchen creations too.